- Recap of Episode 7 – It’s show time! The Iwatobi Swim Club attends their first swim meet. Haruka is up first with the preliminary freestyle event with his lane placement right next to Rin. After a tough race between the two, Rin comes out on top and beats Haruka. Haruka’s time also keeps him from advancing to the finals. Rin is a jerk about it and Haruka is sad.
- Summary of Episode 8 – Haruka lost and he’s pretty bummed out about it. There’s a confrontation between Rin, Makoto, Rei and Nagisa in the locker room, followed by Makoto suggesting that the three remaining swim club members do their best in their individual events and give Haruka some space. Unfortunately none of the Iwatobi Swim Club members advanced to the finals in their individual event. After saying goodbye to Ama-chan, Kou reveals that she has signed up the group for the 4×100 Medley Relay event tomorrow! The team resolves to take part in the relay but Haruka is nowhere to be found. When Haruka finally comes home, he finds out about the relay and agrees to participate. The episode ends with Haruka getting ready to start the last leg of the relay and all of us holding our breath.
- Lessons in Lingo! – I have a few points and some “lingo” I’d like to explain for those of you who didn’t grow up reeking of chlorine because you swam all the time. First off is the event the team is participating in – the 4×100 Medley Relay. Obviously, the “4″ in the event name means the number of people swimming. Next, the “100″ is the length of each leg of the relay. “Long course” pools, or pools that are at least 50 meters in length, are generally used in most swimming competitions and so if a swimmer swims down to one end of the pool and back to the other, that’s 100 meters. Additionally, the “Medley” itself is an event that combines the use of all four strokes used in competitive swimming – backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly and finally freestyle. The finally the relay is well, the relay. It’s the running of those types of swimming strokes in succession either with a group of four people or just one individual. I think this might help clear up some of the questions I’ve seen on forums and twitter about the episode and I hope it helps!
- My take - What a great episode. Seriously. I have no shame so I totally admit to yelling at my computer and pretty much screaming at the cliffhanger ending. And seeing Kou, Nagisa and Rei’s reactions to the room as well as convincing myself that I REALLY do need black pj’s with purple butterflies on them was….well…. Guy, I really need those PJs. Anyways, it was great. I still can’t see why Rin is a redeeming character and why I should care about his growth or feelings. I’m trying to care, I really am but I just dislike sore losers so much and well, he seems like a really sore loser. I seriously feel like he’s just holding a grudge over a race he lost to Haruka years ago and that’s all, I don’t think it’s really anything more than that. I think I feel OK with it not being anything huge (if it’s not) but I also feel like that will be just even more annoying. Well, it looks like we have an awesome festival episode to look forward to next and hopefully some more answers to what all the drama is. I can’t believe we only have 4 more episodes left! I’m just going to enjoy it while lasts…kinda like my summer vacation. Which also ends in four weeks. Hmmm….
The following two tabs change content below.
I started out as a ditzy high school student who then became a soldier for love and justice.... Wait, crap. I mean, somehow I get to be a geek and get paid for it while studying psychology and Japanese. My goal in life is to basically buy all the manga....and anime....and yarn. Oh and do some good stuff for other people along the way. Nothing to see here! I'm just your normal, socially awkward otaku. Yup.
Latest posts by Sabrina (see all)
- Notes of Free! – Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 12 + Series Review - October 2, 2013
- Notes of Free! – Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 11 - September 20, 2013
- Notes of Free! – Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 10 - September 13, 2013
- Notes of Free! – Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 9 - September 6, 2013
- Notes of Free! – Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 8 - September 3, 2013