- Episode 4 Recap: Alright! We have gathered all the things we need to have a swim team, time to get down to business! Well, except Rei keeps sinking like a rock during practice. The team spends time trying to figure out what’s wrong and then Rei realizes that he’s a swimming prodigy and masters the butterfly stroke in a day. Nope, I’m not bitter — no, not at all–
- Summary of Episode 5: Kou gets down to business and decides that her team needs to train so a plan is made to get the club to a nearby island for some long distance swimming training – out in the ocean. First the stress about money, then they stress about transportation but luckily Coach Sasabe is hanging around with a boat and spare time. Before they depart, Haruka and Makoto allude to an emotionally scarring incident involving water, Makoto, and a line of monks. Makoto assures Haru that he will be fine, but will he? The next day the team is off to their island destination! Exciting! Coach Sasabe
strandsleaves the team on the main island with the promise of returning in a few days and a good-bye present of ice chests full of pizza. Once settled, they explore the island a little and discover that the Samesuka Academy Swim Team is also on the island to do training as well at an indoor swim facility. Of course, Rin is there too. The guys go back and get ready to start their training – swimming between three deserted islands and running on each island they meet. Unfortunately, the only make it to the first two islands before they have to turn back – which doesn’t sit too well with Rei who feels bad because he is not at the same level as the other members of the team. Later on, while everyone is asleep, Rei decides to go out for more practice but doesn’t see a storm coming while he’s in the water! He yells for help and Makoto comes running to his rescue!
- My Take: I don’t even know where to start! I mean, how dare they put my Rei in danger! What about Nagisa? I mean if you have to sacrifice one of them it should at least be him!
- …OK, ok. I can feel the glares from all of you, he is adorable. Anyways, I’m kinda astonished by how much of a baby Rin is being during all of this. I mean, I’m sure I’m going to “eat crow” later by saying this but I have a hard time believing that something this important involving swimming happened between Haruka and Rin all those years ago and Rin is completely not being a baby by holding a grudge for that long. It just seems so not based in reality — which is a hard sentence to write in the first place since I’m talking about people who don’t exist except in anime.
- I have to say that what I love the most about this episode is how Rei battles with feeling like he isn’t good enough and showing his feelings without conveying them through words as much as his actions. I feel like that feeling of lacking or fear that “you” is not enough is universal, no matter where you, and it’s really great to see it portrayed in such a way. Anyways, I’m really worried about Rei. I’m sure he’ll be ok. Right? They wouldn’t let him be not OK? I’m going to go breathe into a paper bag now. See you next week.
The following two tabs change content below.
I started out as a ditzy high school student who then became a soldier for love and justice.... Wait, crap. I mean, somehow I get to be a geek and get paid for it while studying psychology and Japanese. My goal in life is to basically buy all the manga....and anime....and yarn. Oh and do some good stuff for other people along the way. Nothing to see here! I'm just your normal, socially awkward otaku. Yup.
Latest posts by Sabrina (see all)
- Notes of Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions – Heart Throb – Episode 1 and Episode 2 - January 25, 2014
- Notes of Free! – Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 12 + Series Review - October 2, 2013
- Notes of Free! – Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 11 - September 20, 2013
- Notes of Free! – Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 10 - September 13, 2013
- Notes of Free! – Iwatobi Swim Club Episode 9 - September 6, 2013