Home Why No Email?
« Home »
Mar 23rd, 2013 Comments: 56

Why No Email?

Rage

So I guess I have a request for people…you may or may not know who you are…

You see, what I’m about to ask is not that difficult. It’s probably one of the simplest things a blogger could ever ask. I mean, if you happen to watch your anime a special way, that’s fine with me. If you happen to read your manga a certain way, that’s also fine with me. If you’re somehow playing Fire Emblem: Thracia 776, A)I hate you B)I love you C)It’s all good anyways. We all have our special preferences, and we all have our ways of doing things, whether they are right or whether they are wrong. But it’s time. I can only make the easiest request ever.

Please, add your emails somewhere on your blog — and where it can be seen!

Ok, so I admit, it’s my fault for doing my usual blog searching and trying to find new blogs to add to my reader and all. But well, this is a problem that surprises me, as blogs for some reason either just don’t have an about page, or most importantly, they just don’t have a way to get in contact with them. If you want to have your blog set up that way, then fine, I guess in the end, there’s nothing I can really do about that. But in the end, let’s just say for certain people, you’re almost asking them to avoid your blog. And really, it’s not that hard to have. Is there some sort of phobia with having an email address on your blog? Do you just hate using email? Well I don’t know guys, I think it’s important that you have some way of getting in touch. “Well you can always get me on Twitter.” That is a great way to socialize, but who knows, the person might not follow you back. What if you wanted to send something personal or whatnot? Yeah, Twitter isn’t the way to go. Maybe using email is a hassle…but it’s still used in 2013. So if you have any sense, just go create an email address and add it to your blog. It makes everything so much easier…oh, and don’t actually go yourblog@yahoo.com. You could easily just go yourblog (AT) yahoo (DOT) com. Supposedly lessens spam or something like that. I think.

Anyways, I guess that’s all from me. Now if you excuse me, I’m going to go look for some blogs and hopefully see they have an email address. I’m going to guess most won’t. I’ll start crying just a bit later.

The following two tabs change content below.

Justin

Justin is the founder of Organization Anti-Social Geniuses. Anime & manga fan that likes to blog about anime and manga, is addicted to sports, and weak to crossovers. You can follow Justin on Twitter @Kami_nomi.

Comments

( 56 )
  1. Iso Mar 23rd, 2013 10:05

Woah, it’s rare to see you write a rage/rant post like that. But yes, I would love it if other bloggers made their email addresses, or at least a contact form available too.

• Justin (Admin) Mar 23rd, 2013 12:29

Woah, it’s rare to see you write a rage/rant post like that

KUKUKU

Well, even this kind of rage/rant pales in comparison to others who have ranted like no one’s business. Namely the usage of more curse words. I’m a saint then :D

Having a contact form/email would just make things easier for everyone. But oh well…

2. theconfusedmuse Mar 23rd, 2013 10:31

I used to be paranoid about getting spam so I didn’t publicly put my address on my blog, but then one day it occured to me that’s what spam filters are for. :D

• Justin (Admin) Mar 23rd, 2013 12:30

:D

Akismet FTW But I guess that’s a reason why people don’t put their email addresses out there?

• Nadav Mar 28th, 2013 9:17

That’s definitely why I don’t give away my e-mail address. I use a contact form instead. Forms are useful, safe and spam-free.

• Justin (Admin) Mar 28th, 2013 10:48

You can always make a second email, as suggested by other bloggers here. But contact form works as well though :)

3. Mylene Mar 23rd, 2013 11:10

It had never occurred to me that someone would want to contact me. Add to that a fear of other people and you end up with no contact info on my blog (I also close comments after a few months because I cannot remember what I was thinking when I wrote a post 5 years ago). However, it was time to revamp my About page into something coherent anyway, so I did go ahead and add it, just in case.

• Justin (Admin) Mar 23rd, 2013 12:38

No. no no no. Don’t fear people. Just don’t do it :D

Haha I’ve had the great fortune of no one having commented on a post that’s over 5 years ago…then again this site started in 2010 so that’s near impossible xD

But good. I think it’s great you added your email. Never know who might want to contact you, and it might be someone who could help you :)

• Mylene Mar 23rd, 2013 12:52

People can be quite the jackasses if you don’t like the show they like which is more what I fear. I don’t want to deal with a bunch of pissy emails since I’m very thin-skinned.

• Justin (Admin) Mar 23rd, 2013 12:57

Ah, I see. I just can’t be bothered to care. It’s the internet. People will have their opinions, some valid, some absolutely not. But generally, you shouldn’t expect an email like that (unless your blog is super big). More often than not, you should be expecting emails from people in your niche that just want to talk :D. Besides that actually…you allow people to comment. They could also be jackasses there ;_; Yeah, you can filter that, but just saying.

• Mylene Mar 23rd, 2013 13:49

There’s a different feeling with the comments for me, and I used to be more restrictive on those (closed them down 2 weeks after posting–and as a small blog what does get read doesn’t get read for well after that point). Not caring has never been an option for me. Try as I might, I still care and it’s easier to avoid having to deal with hateful people. For me, the Internet is an escape from the real world. It’s an old-fashioned notion, but I continue to cling to it. If it’s not pleasant, then I will cut off whatever branch of it has brought on the negativity. But yeah, since no one comments no one should email me either so it shouldn’t be a problem–and another reason why I never thought it was necessary to have it available.

• Justin (Admin) Mar 23rd, 2013 14:41

No…don’t escape the real world. Don’t…do it!!! xD

Well, I say have it just in case, even if your blog doesn’t get so many hits. But that’s just me I guess.

4. Marow Mar 23rd, 2013 11:28

I expected more rage from this. But yes, I agree. It’s god damn annoying at times ;-;

If people are afraid of spam, then simply post a picture of your email. Problem solved. Or if you don’t want to use your personal email, get some specifically for your blog.

The first thing I did when I set up my blog was to fix a decent “About” and “Contact” page. I think they work well. At least they provide actual information.

trying to find new blogs to add to my reader

The reader that is shutting down?

• Justin (Admin) Mar 23rd, 2013 12:42

I expected more rage from this

I’ll leave the rage to people who are, you know, adept at that :D

As Muse said, there are spam filters. Do not be afraid…and yes, they could also come up with a new address. Kind of like how I did.

Er, no, I have a yahoo account, and so I use My Yahoo. Also have an app for google chrome to add stuff. Used Google Reader a few times last year, never got comfortable using it.

• Marow Mar 23rd, 2013 18:32

I actually got an email not too long ago that made me really happy. The person told me (s)he enjoyed my blog, even if (s)he didn’t always agree. Things like that makes me really gooey on the inside.

• Justin (Admin) Mar 23rd, 2013 18:35

That’s another hidden benefit as well :3 (I have yet to get those emails though ;_; Lucky bastard)

• Marow Mar 23rd, 2013 18:36

The person saw me on Crunchyroll, so… ^^’

• Justin (Admin) Mar 23rd, 2013 18:37

• Marow Mar 23rd, 2013 18:43

What? I was featured there. I can post there.

• Justin (Admin) Mar 23rd, 2013 18:46

I want to feel all gooey on the inside too (lies)

5. Marow Mar 23rd, 2013 11:28

… and please tell me how to skip lines on this site.

• Justin (Admin) Mar 23rd, 2013 12:44

If you’re thinking what I’m thinking, then your answer will be as good as mine, since I don’t know either ;_; I think it’s just the theme really. And considering I made a mistake this week in trying to edit a plugin (so many bugs), this is the least of my problems. For now!

• Reiseng Mar 25th, 2013 21:43

test1
      test2

test3

test4

• Reiseng Mar 25th, 2013 21:44

Heh, no empty lines….I guess I couldn’t skip em either. Feel free to delete these comments Justin.

• Justin (Admin) Mar 25th, 2013 21:50

Wait a moment did you really just comment on this post just to do that–and you expect me to delete them?!? I might as well just leave it like this xD

• Reiseng Mar 25th, 2013 22:08

DO

AS

YOU

WISH MR.Editor in Chief. :P

• Justin (Admin) Mar 25th, 2013 22:11

I am so disgusted. Disgusted! *grumbles bitterly*

6. chikorita157 Mar 23rd, 2013 14:18

Normally, people don’t use email these days with the popularity of social networking. However, I do have a contact form provided by Jetback by WordPress so I don’t have to share my email and all I get is spam and people asking for advertising space which I do not accept. I think it’s more pain in the butt, but at least I don’t have to share my email unless I need to make a reply so they can spam like a field day.

But, I agree that a lack of an about page is silly.

• Justin (Admin) Mar 23rd, 2013 14:39

I managed to get two guest posts thanks to email. Hooray for me :D

But yeah I also do get stuff about advertising, which I always turn down. And really, I don’t find it a pain in the butt. I have my email set up so at best, the spam will have to work hard to get in touch with me. But at least you have a contact form. That’s good.

Normally, people don’t use email these days

True. I’m just very used to having to use email since my days back in school…I think.

7. ciddypoo Mar 23rd, 2013 15:43

Oh, right. An e-mail address. I totally overlooked that one. Whoops.

I can’t remember the last time I used e-mail to communicate outside of school/work-related stuff, what with all the other forms of social networking.

• Justin (Admin) Mar 23rd, 2013 16:04

I-I’m serious, people still use email (ok maybe it is for school/work related but ah shutup), honest! And hey, who knows, if you follow someone on Twitter, they may not follow you back or…some other nonsense :D

• ciddypoo Mar 23rd, 2013 16:15

Well, you don’t have to follow someone to tweet at them! Well … not usually, I mean. Though making Twitters all private kinda defeats the point, I think.

• Justin (Admin) Mar 23rd, 2013 16:46

Well no, if it’s something personal or you want to have them take part of a project, stuff like that.

8. Overlord-G Mar 23rd, 2013 16:54

You already have mine…unless you are too lazy to copy/paste.

• Justin (Admin) Mar 23rd, 2013 17:20

I am very lazy. Why don’t you know this?!? (Yeah, I have yours). But this is just directed for those who don’t happen to have one on their blog. For reasons obviously :D

• Overlord-G Mar 23rd, 2013 17:22

Right. We’re anibloggers. Few of us are actually known for being…proactive, shall we say.

9. AngryJellyfish Mar 23rd, 2013 18:02

Can’t say it ever occurred to me that someone would want to contact me about something that couldn’t just as easily be said in a comment on the blog itself. :razz: But sure, I’ll add one!

• Justin (Admin) Mar 23rd, 2013 18:27

You never know ;)

10. Kai Mar 24th, 2013 19:11

I always have several means of contact for my readers, though sometimes it gets a hassle to check all e-mails, lol. I made a contact form recently as a main form of contact.

• Justin (Admin) Mar 24th, 2013 19:31

Just always keep in mind…you don’t have to check your email constantly. It could be twice or three times in the day. Everything else can wait until the next day. I think!

11. Ezero8 Mar 24th, 2013 19:12

Hello,
    If I received an email from Justin of the Organization of Anti-Social Geniuses, can I get a confirmation that it is legit?

• Justin (Admin) Mar 24th, 2013 19:29

It is. You should go respond to it then :)

12. seinime Mar 25th, 2013 14:51

I assumed that people typed in their emails in comment forms? Best way to contact would be Twitter/actually leaving a comment on the blog for me, I barely check email anymore.

• Justin (Admin) Mar 25th, 2013 15:01

Someone might not want to comment, but instead might want to email you. You never know really. I think it’s useful to have. Speaking of which, new email here!??!

• seinime Mar 30th, 2013 19:00

WordPress account messed up and using random emails.

• Justin (Admin) Mar 30th, 2013 19:53

Removed you posting your own email because you didn’t need to post it here =p Just remember to use the correct email address :)

13. Moonlitasteria Mar 25th, 2013 18:06

Some people have the email, but fear getting spam (like I do) even if it is for a secondary account. Plus, nowadays, I think most people either use Twitter or Facebook to get in contact with most people. I hate that, since it usually hard as hell to contact someone via Twitter with the character limit and Facebook, well that is for people I actually know and do not even use often. Regardless of spam or what not, I always have two methods of contact on my blog and one is email, since I check it religiously – or rather, my phone alerts me when I get messages.

• Justin (Admin) Mar 25th, 2013 18:29

It would be fun to DM someone, but then get stuck with a 140 character limit lol Actually that’s also another point in favor of email. But it seems email is hated outside of school/work in 2013. Actually, email has been hated for a while now, even in school (I know this from experience lol)

• Moonlitasteria Mar 25th, 2013 18:51

From your experience, yeah. From my experience, I am starting to, lol. Beinging in the IT program, my professor expects us to check the inbox everyday. When we come into class, turn in the assignment he asked for and prepare for lecture. He never announces anything in class, unless it is a schedule change, which we also get a copy via email, lol.

14. The Cajun Samurai Mar 26th, 2013 2:25

::sweatdrops:: Heh…heh…umm…I suppose I should go ahead and add a “Contact Us” page on my blog…We have a Twitter/YouTube/Email, so I suppose it would be a good idea to post all that in one spot that’s easy to access…

• Justin (Admin) Mar 26th, 2013 18:47

*IMMINENT RAGE INCOMING* :< xD

15. Foxy Lady Ayame Mar 26th, 2013 5:15

hihihihihi I sympathize with your frustration- do you remember the tips in the animanga blog carnival?
    email though might be dangerous when trolls or haters are out there for you-perhaps? dunno myself, thankfully

• Justin (Admin) Mar 26th, 2013 18:48

I remember everything Ayame. I remember EVERYTHING (lies)

dangerous when trolls or haters are out there for you

I think that would mean I am famous. I’ll take the fame xD

• Foxy Lady Ayame Mar 26th, 2013 19:39

it could mean you were vocal about being lgbtq or having a fetish or being feminist… generally a trollable trait… and trolls don’t always seek famous people, I think :/ some are just wasted kiddos who don’t have a life

• Justin (Admin) Mar 26th, 2013 20:04

Can’t let what people say to you online affect you. It is the internet. There are its good times and its bad times. And who knows, you might just get great emails instead of trolls and haters :)