Time to do roundups for Day 3 & 4 of Urasawa MMF.
- Needless to say, we’ve made every attempt to cover certain angles of most of Urasawa’s works. For example, Manjiorin covers a series that shows Urasawa back in the late 80s? Wait what:
Pineapple Army is an mid-80s manga by Kazuya Kudo, with art by Naoki Urasawa. The series focuses on Goshi, a Vietnam war vet who “turn[s] people into combat-ready soldiers” — whether they be children, women, and everything in between. The series ran from 1986 to 1989 in Shogakukan’s Big Comic Original, and was eventually released in eight volumes. Viz released ten standalone chapters of this series as individual floppies back in the late 90s, followed later by a single graphic novel containing all of the released chapters.
- An old Viz manga series huh? Man are those covers old! But wow, Pineapple Army seems…interesting. As I read Ash’s take on Pineapple Army, I suddenly started to think of Golgo 13. We don’t ask why, but it seems Goshi’s one interesting dude.
- Anyways, we also took the time to talk our heads off about Pluto, and basically we tried to talk about every good thing about the series, from its themes of hatred and the depth of each character that appears in the Urasawa X Tezuka work.
- Finally, Lori managed to read all of 20th Century Boys. It’s not a bad series, but unfortunately, she feels it would be a frustrating read:
20th Century Boys is a long but compelling read. Once I had started, I just had to keep going on to the next volume. But as the series wore on, it was less about watching the characters and cheering them on, and more about just finding out who the hell Friend is and who he was to Kenji and his friends. This isn’t a terrible title, but it is a frustrating one.
So ok, we’ve gotten a couple of submissions, but we can always take more submissions! So I’m looking forward to seeing what you all have to say!
Latest posts by Justin (see all)
- Reference Resource Mondays: Get To Reading Edition - August 31, 2015
- Editorial: Dragon Ball Super Not Streaming on FUNimation is Unacceptable - August 30, 2015
- Instant Analysis: My Hero Academia - August 26, 2015
- This Genius Plays The Manga Tag Game - August 16, 2015
- Justin Attempts To Read The Freezing Manga Legally, Part 01 - August 12, 2015